How much concrete is produced every year?
Concrete is used more than any other manmade material in the world. In addition, concrete is the 2nd most consumed substance in the world-behind water . The industry alone is worth over $37 billion, and it employs more than 2 million employees in the United States . About 10 billion tons of concrete are produced every year .
How long does concrete last?
Concrete can last for thousands of years. The oldest known man-made concrete mix dates back to around 500 BC .
Why use concrete?
Concrete is strong, plentiful, reliable and extremely versatile.
How strong is concrete?
Average concrete strength is about 3000 psi. (lbs/square inch) Some concrete can reach strengths over 20,000 psi.
What is the worlds largest concrete structure?
The Three Gorges Damn in China is the worlds largest concrete structure, consuming 35 million cubic yards of concrete!
Three Gorges Dam- China
- Thomas Edison was the first to contract and live in a precast concrete home.
- Because of concrete color, concrete reflects 30-50% more light than asphalt. This reduces the temperature in major cities by up to 7%.
- Heavy trucks get up to 20% better mileage on concrete rather than asphalt.
- Concrete is the most natural-disaster proof building material in the world.
- Concrete will last longer than any other building material.
- Over 70% of the world’s population lives in a structure that contains concrete.
- More than 55,000 miles of highway are paved with concrete in the United States.
- Concrete gets stronger as it gets older!
- Concrete weighs an average of 3800-4000 lbs/yd3.
- Certain types of concrete float! Concrete canoes and boat docks are prime examples of floating concrete structures.
Thomas Edison with his concrete house design